High school students will have to write a lot of essays in their lives — and argumentative essays is one of the most common types. Here is a list of 20 essay topics students may want to consider for this type of writing:
High School Essay Prompts for Underclassmen
- Do you think introducing traditional forms of world dance into P.E. would encourage high school students to learn and be more accepting of foreign cultures?
- How has the act of charitable giving changed in modern society? Are people giving because of the philanthropic reasons or for the social and financial advantages of doing so?
- For better or worse, in what ways has social support changed because of technology? Consider social media and global connectivity.
- With player safety being such a concern in sports (e.g., football, hockey, and rugby among others), do you think the rules to protect players are sufficient?
Unique Essay Topics for High School Upperclassmen
- Are young voters politically influenced by social media and mainstream news outlets (on television, for example) without taking the time to research issues on their own?
- Do you believe that large companies offering exclusive streaming services are cornering the entertainment market and unfairly driving prices high for customers?
- Is it important for high school students to carve out “alone time” where they are able to completely disconnect from the world in safe and healthy ways?
- Are high school students focused too much on financial success? Do they appreciate the happiness that comes from taking lower-paying jobs they enjoy doing?
Argumentative Essay Examples for High School
- Should special needs students be allowed to bring emotional support animals to public schools? Would this be too distracting for other students?
- Is gift-giving overrated in today’s society? Is it a by-product held popular largely by commercialization and business?
- Is telecommuting an effective way of staying motivated as a student or employee?
- Should 16-year-olds be allowed to vote on federal and state officials if they will be impacted by the legislature that is being pushed forth on the officials’ platforms?
Essay Contests for High School Students
- Tell a story about a time when someone gave you a critique that changed the way you think about your life.
- Are you self-conscious about any quality or characteristic? Do you let other people know what these are and how do you feel about revealing them?
- Do you consider yourself as progressive? How have your opinions changed because of the political and social climate in today’s world?
- Can you find something that you feel your parents don’t get about you? Have you tried to communicate these things to them?
Essay Scholarships for High School Seniors
- Have you ever participated in a sport or athletic event and experienced a disappointment that you wish you could have back? Why?
- If you could sit on a park bench with a deceased loved one for two hours, who would you choose and what would you talk about?
- Can you describe an instance when you were given a gift you did not want but felt compelled to keep it? What was the gift and why did you decide to keep it?
- Have you ever had a relationship (friend, family, or romantic) end because of social media?
These essay ideas are great for numerous situations, including scholarships and applications. Getting lots of practice throughout high school will ensure you are prepared to write on several topics in a number of disciplines. Need more topic ideas? Contact customer support for a unique and interesting list.